Types of Membership
Full membership is open to all who have an interest in statistics and have the following qualifications:-
- Who possesses a degree or diploma in statistics or in subjects closely allied to statistics granted by a university or a tertiary institution recognized by the Society; or
- Who possesses a degree or a professional qualification in other subjects recognized by the Society and, at the time of application, is responsible for the direction of persons engaged in statistical work; or
- Who has passed the Higher Certificate in Statistics Examination or higher of the Royal Statistical Society, United Kingdom, or has attained a qualification in statistics of equivalent standard; or
- Who has at least three years' experience in responsible statistical work or in a closely associated activity recognized by the Society.
Candidates for Full Membership are normally proposed by two Full Members, and nominations are approved by the Council of the Society. Full Members have the right to vote at any meeting of the Society.
Professional Members have the right to vote at any meeting of the Society.
To be considered for the qualification of Certified Statistician (CStat), at least one of the following four criteria must be met.
- A good university degree and/or an appropriate higher degree in Statistics or in a subject containing a substantial coverage of statistical theory, method and practice in Hong Kong, plus five years' practical experience in applying statistics. (Some university courses, particularly at postgraduate level, may be eligible to count towards this practical experience.)
- An appropriate overseas degree (in some cases a Master Degree will be the appropriate level) in Statistics or in a subject containing a substantial coverage of statistical theory, method and practice in Hong Kong, plus five years' practical experience in applying statistics. (Some university courses, particularly at postgraduate level, may be eligible to count towards this practical experience.)
- The Graduate Diploma of the Hong Kong Statistical Society, plus four years' practical experience in applying statistics.
- At least ten years practical experience in applying statistics at a responsible level together with acceptable evidence of knowledge, competence and contributions to the subject and its applications.
Those individuals who have the necessary academic requirements to qualify as Certified Statisticians but who do not have the relevant practical experience may apply for the qualification of Graduate Statistician (GradStat).
More details on the requirements for the CStat and GradStat qualifications can be obtained from the Notes for applicants for CStat and GradStat.
The Council of the Society may elect a member as an Honorary Member of the Society, in recognition of his/her outstanding contributions to statistics or its applications or to the Society. Honorary Members have the right to vote at any meeting of the Society.
This category of membership is open to students undertaking courses in statistics or related subjects.
Candidates for the Society's examinations must either become a Full Member/Student Member, or join as an Examination Associate. Examination Associates receive the same benefits as that of Full Member except voting rights. Examination Associates do not have to be nominated by two Full Members.
The Council of the Society may elect any corporate body or institution to be Corporate Member. A Corporate Member shall be entitled to nominate a person to represent it, subject to approval of the Council of the Society of the person so nominated.